Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The One With All The Latest

Dave sez,

Happy Adoption Month!
We are Cathy and Dave; and this is our ongoing adventure with our son Justin and the journey of bringing our second son Ethan home...

Hopefully you are enjoying the humor and the lighter side of our adventures...

Did I mention that we do a lot of walking here? Cathy and I have been looking forward to the walking...forced exercise...as if Justin weren't enough of a work-out, we've decided to expand our defense to man-on-man; and start our day with some vigorous exercise. It's a good hike to the subway, and the walk is highlighted by the weather. a couple days we've had rain. Like today. But we are near enough to a bus stop, where we can catch the Number Eighteen Trolley Bus to Independence Square, where we catch the subway to another connecting bus ride out to the orphanage. It was pouring this morning, so we decided to do just that. The bus ride is $1.50, local currency. We've hesitated in riding, because there is not always a bus conductor to take the fare and issue a bus pass. This is a different bus entirely from the one we catch off the subway to the orphanage. On THAT bus, the fare is $2.50, local currency, $5 for two, and every passenger is responsible for paying the driver the fare. You can either pay the driver - by placing your fare on the engine hump, front and center of the bus - or, by passing it forward. If you need change that will be passed back to you - count on it. We were fortunate that the bus we got on this morning had a lady conductor, taking fares and handing out passes, as well as the driver. We'd forgotten since our last trip here what the fare was. I handed the lady a dollar bill, Cathy handed her a two dollar bill and she took our bus passes. We found a seat.

A couple blocks from where we got on the bus came to an abrupt stop with a loud crashing sound. The doors opened and every one got off and started walking. What Cathy and I saw was a red compact car stopped in front of the bus, with the back window shattered. The back fender may have been bent. The front fender of the bus was warped slightly from the impact.

None of us passengers felt the shock of the impact, which is a good thing. Except for the loud noise, I would have thought we had stopped at a red light, or to take on passengers. The other passengers didn't seem the least bit fazed. The doors opened, they all exited and made their way by foot. It was morning rush hour, after all.

We've seen a couple of accidents - fender-blenders, the big "how-do!" - there was a two-car accident at the top of the cloverleaf, at the middle point of our ride out to the orphanage; and a truck (semi) versus car collision as we got closer into the neighborhood. Truck 1, car 0.

We're getting to know Shani's personality. He is a bright and happy boy. He is a very typical kid. We spend our time with him working on his English. So far we've gone easy on him. We give him a page of words to write three times and then we spend our time playing Uno, or war or we let him play Angry Birds. Today, we expanded his English writing. Every few minutes he would sigh, "Oh my gosh!" and then, "Come on Shani!" When he finishes it's always with a "Shani good?" Yes, Shani good!

We brought a few movies over to watch during our stay. The last trip we brought the Karate Kid remake with Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith. Justin wore the DVD out, we had to get another copy, he enjoyed it so much. I "forgot" to bring that movie. I wish I had brought it. I think Shani would have worn it out, too. I think I'm actually glad I forgot it. I've seen it so many times, I could probably recite it. He'll probably watch it enough when we get home to make up for not watching it on this trip. I did bring a few other movies I thought he would like just as much. This trip is going to seem much longer than it is if he doesn't.

It isn't going to be hard to keep him as active as Justin. With all the rain we've had, the playground is a soggy, muddy mess, but we did find a dry spot to play some "enclosed" soccer. There is a shelter on one side of the playground opposite the front door to the orphanage. We played one-on-one soccer for about a half-hour. The only way I can keep up with either of my boys is to cheat every opportunity I get; so there were a lot of potential penalties for holding and carrying, as I scooped Shani up in a bear hug, while I kicked three goals in a row. He would have the ball headed to my side, when I would spin him around, scoop him up again and kick another three goals in a row on his side. Justin would have been livid, and screaming "Penalty! Penalty! Penalty!" But Shani just giggled and squealed until he couldn't breathe any more.

Honorable Number One Son is very competitive; and I appreciate that. He's already figured out that it's not that hard to beat Popi. Honorable Number Two Son, Shani is learning how to "cahoot"...as in, he is learning the BEST place to be is in cahoots with Mom playing Uno to beat Popi. Of course Mom is "cahooting" like there is no tomorrow! I have a feeling when we get home, I'm going to be ganged up on!

Looks like it's going to be a pile up on Dad!


No comments:

Post a Comment