Thursday, November 15, 2012

The One About The Word We Heard...

Dave sez,

At 2:06pm local time, as we were standing at the bus stop waiting for the 507 to take us back to Holosiivska station, for our subway ride back to Independence Square, the cell phone rang. We had been waiting for this phone call since around four yesterday afternoon, when our facilitator let us know he had gotten permission from the SDA to schedule a court date. He said something to the effect, "Wait for my call tomorrow morning. I will talk to you then. Okay? Bye-bye!"

We both had trouble sleeping. It is not difficult PUTTING things in God's hands. It is LEAVING them there that is the challenge. We've both felt that our hands were sticky with glue, and as we came away, what we wanted to hand over was still there in our hands, like a hot potato.

This morning we were both very tired. We didn't have any breakfast, we just hurried to the Number Eighteen to Independence Square, and down to Maidan station as if the faster we went and the closer we got, the sooner we would get the call we were expecting.

Shani has been growing increasingly restless. The weather is turning colder; and his cough is getting worse and worse. He's not in school anymore, so his only activity has been working on his English and video games. He's not at a point where he is ready to read or be read to. He's struggling with simple transitional words like "of", "us" and "are"; he's working to tell the difference between brother and brothers. He knows the alphabet through sing-song, and he seems to bog down around "L-M-N-O-P", and if you throw a single letter out of context at him he can't recognize it. So we have some work to do. But we knew that. We also know that his brother Justin struggled until one day it all fell into place and clicked; and what we heard at the last parent-teacher conference is that Justin is a very accomplished young man. Shani will probably carve out his own path to the same destination.

We surprised him by not eating lunch at the same time he did. He did a double take and (O_O) over that. But he managed to gobble down his food and come back to us for over an hour of Uno.

It is not the English lesson or the Uno game. It is the sound of his voice and his giggling while we are together that I lock up deep inside and store to share with his future children, one day.

We did spend the day looking at the cell phone, like the expectant parents we are. Every few minutes I'd check the time. Cathy would look at me. I would shake my head.

We were feeling a bit discouraged as we walked to the bus stop. Like the disciples after the crucifixion, wondering what would happen next.

At the bus stop, Cathy turned to me and said, "I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to call HIM to find out would it?", just as I was pulling the cell phone out of my pocket to check the time once again. The cell phone came out of my pocket ringing. It was the orphanage director.

"Hello, Dave, how are you?"

"I am fantastic, how are you?"

"Good. Good. We have scheduled a court appearance for you for tomorrow morning at ten." He gave us instructions on what time to meet to go to court, and those words went to my instinctive brain, where I will recall it when I REALLY need it. I was making a spectacle of myself by dancing like Steve Martin with "Happy Feet" at the bus stop. Yes, I can embarrass Cathy ANY where in the world!

Paul defined "faith" in Hebrews 11:1 as "the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see."

Seems to be all about great expectations happening.

During National Adoption Month, six days before Thanksgiving in "the colonies" I am most thankful for family and extended family following our journey. Thank you for being here with us, and for adopting us, supporting us, encouraging us and praying for us. I believe that the prayers of a righteous person avails much.

We are now reaching the halfway point of our journey. There is still more road ahead... 

No comments:

Post a Comment