Friday, April 20, 2012

Mission: Impossible

Dave sez,

I realize that I have NO problems whatsoever watching cartoons with my son. But every now and again, I do get a hankerin' to watch a movie. Not so much a smarmy, sappy rom-com. But something that features 1) a good, decent car chase, B) something being blown up, and, D) Simon Pegg. There is all that, and so much more in the latest Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol. If you haven't seen it, it is one of the best M:I movies. Even if you are NOT a Tom Cruise fan. J. J. Abrams, from Lost and 2009's Star Trek reboot is involved. Brad Bird, from Disney's The Incredibles directed it. The brilliant Simon Pegg, Scotty from 2009's Star Trek and previous M:I films is in it along with Jeremy Renner from Ben Affleck's The Town. He had a cameo in Thor and will be in The Avengers opening May 4th. He plays Hawkeye, the archer. Think Marvel's version of Green Arrow.

This isn't so much a movie review, though.

After dinner, Cathy made a special breaded chicken - which I thought was AWESOME, and Justin thought was just okay (he did not finish his dinner. He said he was not very hungry, that his stomach was bothering him, which I take as code for: I'm not into this real food, I'll wait for snack time for junk food. He didn't finish dinner, so he did not get ANY snacks last night.)...

Okay, right, where was I?

...Justin gets on the computer to play video games.

Cathy had gotten Ghost Protocol from Red Box, so we sat down to watch it. Now, I'm no rocket scientist or brain surgeon, but I do know if you sit down to watch a movie at eight o'clock, NOBODY's goin' to bed at nine. I was hoping to see how far along we could get in the movie before bedtime.

Justin asked to do his homework in the morning because he has a test today. At around 9:30 we noticed we were all still up watching the movie and playing video games. So, I paused the movie and explained to Justin that A) he needed to do his homework, 2) he could sleep in a little in the morning - but not much - and D) this was a ONE-TIME, special occasion - so consider yourself very lucky, young man, and do not abuse it!

We ran through his homework - because his English is getting SO much better, and he finished the movie with us.

It was worth it to see his smiling face as we had our fifteen minute appointment pillow fight. He grumbled a little about it ending, but he settled down and as soon as his head hit the pillow I heard the start of his chainsaw for sawing logs.

Will we remember the nights we went to bed on time? No, I don't think so. I'm one of those people that believes that life HAPPENS AFTER you make your plans. I listen to the radio - not so much for the music, but for what happens in between the songs and before the commercials. He'll probably be tired and cranky, he may have some challenges in class and at Karate tonight. But, when I look back at the special moments with my son, last night will be one of the memories that comes to mind.

Just like our last night in the apartment in Kiev before the flight home. I wanted to get a good night's sleep, Justin wanted to stay up all night long. I said okay, go ahead, I'm taking a little nap. I wake up at two in the morning with the television broadcasting static, and Justin out like a light.

"Hey, remember that one time we stayed up a little late, had a pillow fight and then went to sleep? Remember how much FUN we had together?"

Yeah, I want Justin to be responsible. But these early days of bonding HAVE to be about building our relationship. I want him to think his Mom and Dad are FUN. Just like LOVE, FUN lasts FOREVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment