Sunday, April 15, 2012

Message In A Bottle

Dear Dad,

So, how's the weather there? Probably better than what we have here, I 'spect. I told you about the mild winter we had here. Spring came early this year, went away, came back. We're waiting for it to make up it's mind and decide whether or not to stay awhile. One day, it's sunny and warm; the next cold, cloudy and windy! Near forty mile an hour winds - can you believe it?

Anyway, yesterday was my FIRST All-Pro Dads Day at Justin's school. The school has them once a month, but this was the first one that I was able to make. You should have seen his face, Dad, when he brought home the blue invitation slip. He was so excited, I thought he was going to burst. His eyes were as big as saucers and he was talking a mile a minute. he kept asking me over and over if we could go. I'd been wondering when the next one was coming up, because I missed the last couple of them, and I really wanted to go with Justin. If he was about to explode at the idea of going, he nearly melted down from excitement when I told him I'd have to take him to school early and he wouldn't be able to ride the bus. He likes the bus, but he likes me and Mommy driving him or picking him up BETTER.

Today, we caught a break. I got a chance to cut the grass and Cathy worked on her flower bed. After I finished, I helped Cathy. Justin helped to around his busy Avatar marathon schedule...

We turned mulching into a game and he had fun helping us spread it around the flowers.

I can't wait to bring Shani home, so he can be part of all this too. I know Justin can use the company and someone around his size and age to play with.

You know...I always thought this journey was about ME.

Forgetting that it was about Cathy and what she was going through...

It wasn't until I met Justin that I realized just what our adoption journey was about.

It's not about me. It's a little bit about Cathy. It's a lot about Justin. And his brother.

It's about family.

I wish I could tell you this in person. I wish you could be here for Justin's FIRST Cathy's birthday. Mom's birthday is in May. Mother's day will mark twelve years that you've been gone. October would be your 82nd birthday. I'm not sure what's worse, Dad. Missing you, or not being able to tell you how much I've missed you.

Things are good, Dad. I just wish you could be here to see the dad Justin sees.

Love always,

Dave

P.S. ~ Father, I am so grateful to you for answering our prayers. This gift you've given us is truly AWESOME!
There is just one thing more I want.

I don't want to be a memory trapped in a picture frame, or a story Justin and Shani tell their children. I may not have been blessed to see my two boys born; but I want to hold their children in my arms. I want to be able to give both my boys a night together with their wives that isn't an anniversary or a birthday. Just cause.

You say that you hear what we ask in Your Son's name, so I come and ask in Jesus name.

Amen.

Eric Louis

1 comment:

  1. Just read....wept.

    I Miss my Dad also, more than words can express. I am in agreement with your prayer.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete